[webkit-dev] architecture specific optimizations

Osztrogonac Csaba oszi at inf.u-szeged.hu
Fri Feb 13 02:47:21 PST 2009

Hi all,

We are interested in SFX speed optimizations, and we have
experimented with some architecture specific optimizaton.

If enable gcc to generate SSE2 instructions with -msse2 option,
SunSpider has 4.8% progression with JIT, and 2.4% progression
with interpreter. (result attached) (-msse2 is default option
on MAC platform, but it isn't on qt-linux platform)

Nowadays the rate of sse2 capability CPU is increasing.
(e.g. all of the x86-64 architecture have sse2.) I think
we should take advantage of different architectures. Have
you got any idea? e.g. different build for architectures -
determine the platform capabilities at buid time, etc

br,
Ossy