[webkit-dev] Multiple location providers in Geolocation API

Steve Block steveblock at google.com
Mon Feb 2 05:18:26 PST 2009

> Well that platform should manage between GPS and any other providers itself?
> So if this was implemented on iPhone, for example, the platform uses
> iPhone's CoreLocation, and it manages where it is getting the data from
> itself. That is a platform detail as I read it.
Sure, I agree.

>> Even if we choose to share the results of all providers between all
>> currently active requests, I think we should still limit the use of
>> 'enableHighAccuracy' providers to times when a request specifying this
>> option is in progress. In the current implementation, once a request
>> has been made with enablehighAccuracy=true, all subsequent requests
>> will use the 'expensive' providers, until all current requests have
>> completed. What do you think?
>
> I think that is a question for the GeoLocation list, in fact I think it may
> have been covered there?
I don't think it has been covered there, but this is an implementation
detail I think.

> I think that should be left up to the platform, personally. In a theoretical
> iPhone platform, CoreLocation will be as accurate as the most accurate
> request, maxing out with the accuracy the device is capable of.
Sure, but the present code does not pass the necessary information to
the platform-specific GeolocationService. So an implementation is not
able to limit the use of high-accuracy providers to times when a
request that specifies enableHighAccuracy is in progress. In order for
the platform-specific implementation to decide on a policy, we need to
pass to the GeolocationService both the 'registration' and
'unregistration' of enableHighAccuracy-enabled requests.

Steve

--
Google UK Limited
Registered Office: Belgrave House, 76 Buckingham Palace Road, London SW1W 9TQ