[webkit-dev] SharedScript: next steps and result of offline discussion.

Michael Nordman michaeln at google.com
Tue Dec 15 11:09:44 PST 2009

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 9:16 PM, Darin Fisher <darin at chromium.org> wrote:

> I think that use case has been de-emphasized.  However, if we wanted to
> support it, we'd probably have to say that removeChild of an IFRAME element
> doesn't cause the unload event to be dispatched.  (I'm a bit concerned that
> that may cause incompatibilities with existing pages.)  Then, you'd have to
> store a reference to the IFRAME element in a global variable, so that you
> could find it again when the next document is loaded.

I hope this use-case can be accommodated, I think this is ultimately the
more generally applicable use-case. Btw, concern for incompatibilities with
existing pages was one reason we came up with a new construct for this
capability (instead of overloading <iframe> or <script>).

How does 'reparentling' work in the absence of the use-case i mentioned?
When the current parent removes the iframe from its DOM, does unload not get
fired, do pending xhr's, and do timers continue run such that they survive
after being added to a new parent's DOM.... how's that work in the magic
iframe scheme?