[webkit-dev] Should we ever change style guidelines?

Peter Kasting pkasting at google.com
Wed Dec 9 15:33:20 PST 2009

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 3:19 PM, Adam Treat <treat at kde.org> wrote:

> With every new rule to the style guide I fear we
> lose the latter and become ever more pedantic about often trivial issues.

I see no problem with pedantry.

Rather, I'd prefer to think of the style guidelines as just that:
> guidelines.
> In the end, I believe both patch authors and reviewers should use good
> common
> sense just like in any other aspect of our codebase.

A major problem: as you already noted, my common sense and yours disagree.
 For example, the case indenting example you gave seems bad to me.  Style
guides prevent us from arguing forever about things like this.  They
streamline the review process, not lengthen it.

I'd like to go back to thinking of the style guidelines as a *guide* for
> patch

authors into the common coding style of the community.

I very much hope not.  I have been on many bugs already where precisely this
happened.  It was a fiasco.

What I suspect is
> happening (which concerns me), is the style guidelines being used to work
> around the problems we're encountering scaling the review queue.

I don't see that at all.  What I see is us actually noticing style
violations instead of having them slip under the radar.

PK