[webkit-dev] AJAX requests from local files to network stopped working in 4.6

Alexander Vassilev avasilev at voipgate.com
Mon Dec 7 06:28:45 PST 2009

Hi all,

I am using qt and qtwebkit in my application, it embeds webkit and loads
some local html and javascript files, which do XMLHTTP requests over the
network. With qtwebkit 4.5.x I had no problems doing so, no cross-site
scripting blocking by webkit, everything just worked (i did security
control by myself). With qt 4.6 however, I get an empty responseText of
the XMLHttpRequest object. Just to be sure its not the javascript code
that causes the problem, I ran a qt-4.5.x version of my app on the same
html and it nicely got the xmlhttp reply. Again, ran the qt-4.6 version,
and it got an empty response string. I have checked that the xssAuditor
is not enabled in qtwebkit (not via qtwebkit API, but by accessing
internal APIs of webkit). My question is, what is blocking my xmlhttp
request and is there a way to disable this security feature, like it was
in the qt-4.5.x version of WebKit? I have access to webkit
internals, so the absence of a qtwebkit API to control the xss blocking
would not be a problem, as long as there is a generic WebKit API to do so.

Thanks in advance
Alex