[webkit-dev] TARGET_OS_EMBEDDED

David Kilzer ddkilzer at webkit.org
Fri Dec 4 16:54:51 PST 2009

On December 4, 2009 at 9:29:11 AM, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> On Dec 4, 2009, at 5:51 AM, Zoltan Herczeg wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > it would be a great to have a macro in WebKit, which would be enabled on
> > embedded systems. We could replace macros like PLATFORM(SYMBIAN) in
> > TextCodecQt.cpp to this new macro. However, TARGET_OS_EMBEDDED macro
> > enables WTF_PLATFORM_IPHONE. Well, not only symbian and iPhone exist in
> > embedded domain. What is your suggestion?
>
> I think we should probably phase out TARGET_OS_EMBEDDED, as it seems too general
> to be useful.

TARGET_OS_EMBEDDED is only used to define PLATFORM(IPHONE) (which expands to WTF_PLATFORM_IPHONE).  TARGET_OS_EMBEDDED was not intended and should not be used within any of the WebKit projects itself.

If other platforms are defining the "TARGET_OS_EMBEDDED" macro separately which is causing PLATFORM(IPHONE) to be defined unintentionally, then we should qualify the definition of PLATFORM(IPHONE) to include PLATFORM(DARWIN) (or similar) so that this doesn't happen.

I don't see a need for a generic PLATFORM(EMBEDDED) macro currently.  I think it's best to define specific platforms with the PLATFORM() macro and enable features on a per-platform basis as we're currently doing.

Dave