[webkit-dev] Proposing style guide change regarding braces on conditional arms

Dirk Pranke dpranke at chromium.org
Thu Dec 3 11:48:03 PST 2009

On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 11:36 AM, Jeremy Orlow <jorlow at chromium.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 11:20 AM, Alexey Proskuryakov <ap at webkit.org> wrote:
>>
>> On 02.12.2009, at 23:35, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>>
>>> One possible conservative modification to the rule is that if you have a
>>> multi-block if ... else if ... else chain, then if even one body has braces,
>>> all should. I think that would tend to reduce rather than increase visual
>>> noise, as all the "else" keywords would line up where right now they look
>>> ragged.
>>

>> That would be my preference, too.
>
> I would like this.

While I personally believe every branch should be wrapped in braces,
it seems like we're not going to get consensus on that. I can live
with "no braces on any branch", but mixing brace-wrapped branches and
non-wrapped is really distasteful. So, I would vote for this
suggestion, as it gets us closer to what I believe is good.

-- Dirk