[webkit-dev] localStorage quota limit

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Wed Dec 2 20:44:14 PST 2009

On Dec 2, 2009, at 8:14 PM, Darin Fisher wrote:

> What about Maciej's comment.  JS strings are often use to store
> binary values.  Obviously, if people stick to octets, then it should
> be fine, but perhaps some folks leverage all 16 bits?

I think some people do use JavaScript strings this way, though not
necessarily with LocalStorage. This kind of use will probably become
obsolete when we add a proper way to store binary data from the
platform.

Most Web-related APIs are fully accepting of JavaScript strings that
are not proper UTF-16. I don't see a strong reason to make
LocalStorage an exception. It does make sense for WebSocket to be an
exception, since in that case charset transcoding is required by the
protocol, and since it is desirable in that case to prevent any funny
business that may trip up the server..

Also, looking at UTF-16 more closely, it seems like all UTF-16 can be
transcoded to UTF-8 and round-tripped if one is willing to allow
technically invalid UTF-8 that encodes unpaired characters in the
surrogate range as if they were characters. It's not clear to me why
Firefox or IE choose to reject instead of doing this. This also
removes my original objection to storing strings as UTF-8.

Regards,
Maciej