[webkit-dev] localStorage quota limit

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Wed Dec 2 13:24:19 PST 2009

On Dec 2, 2009, at 12:06 PM, Michael Nordman wrote:

> Arguably, seems like a bug that invalid string values are let thru
> the door to start with?

ECMAScript Strings are essentially sequences of arbitrary 16-bit
values. Sometimes Web apps take advantage of this to use a String as a
hacky way to represent binary data. I don't think we should reject
such strings arbitrarily.

> Since users can't effectively store invalid UTF16 character
> sequences in FF or IE,

I tend to think this is a bug in FF/IE. Nothing in the spec gives
license to reject particular Strings.

> is there really any downside to using UTF8 text encoding in WebKit?
> @Jeremy, this isn't a matter of letting users choose the text
> encoding, this is entirely an implementation detail of WebStorage.

I think it would be fine to use a more compact encoding
opportunistically, as long as we can still handle an arbitrary
JavaScript String. Perhaps we should use UTF-8 if and only if the
conversion succeeds, or perhaps even use Latin1 as the alternative.