[webkit-dev] GlobalScript in WebKit

Charles Reis creis at chromium.org
Tue Dec 1 10:41:14 PST 2009

One question about version conflicts and how they might get worse; sorry if
it's already been addressed.  What happens if a user has an old version of
an application like Gmail open and then tries to open a new window to the
app, after developers have added new features?  I presume the new window is
stuck talking to the old version of the SharedScript?

Version conflicts are obviously already possible (without SharedScripts) if
an old application opens a new window and tries to talk to it.  Today,
though, it's at least mostly safe to have a week-old copy of an app open and
then load a separate, newer version in a different window.  (I'm doing that
right now with Gmail.)  With SharedScripts in place, it seems like either
(1) the new version of the app would have to detect the old SharedScript and
deal with it or (2) the user would continue to see errors until he reloaded
all the open app windows to get the new version.  And would reloading be
sufficient, or would he have to close all the app windows to make the
SharedScript go away?

Basically, SharedScripts make multiple windows more dependent on each other.
 There's a lot of benefits to that, though it could also make problems like
version conflicts more common.  Have there been any thoughts on ways to
address this, or should it be left to web developers?  (I didn't see
anything in the design doc.)

Charlie