[webkit-dev] GlobalScript API.

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Mon Aug 31 19:18:18 PDT 2009

On Aug 31, 2009, at 6:09 PM, Dmitry Titov wrote:

> Hi WebKit-dev,
>
> I'm hoping to get your advice on Global Script proposal and how to
> start implementing it as an 'experimental API' since it's not
> standardized yet.
>
> As part of work on Workers in WebKit and Chromium, we discussed them
> with our web application folks (mostly gmail). We came to the idea
> that in addition to workers, they need a shared script context which
> runs on the same UI thread and directly scriptable.
>
> Our previous take (with an invisible window running all the time in
> the background) was not that fruitful but it indicated the way to
> go. We are thankful to the members of the whatwg community for the
> detailed threat analysis of 'permanently running invisible pages',
> it helped very much. Not right away but it was absorbed :-) Current
> proposal reflects realization that there is a less-powerful way to
> achieve the same benefits.
>
> I'm looking for a way to implement it as an experimental API in
> WebKit and Chromium. I'm thinking it can go the similar way as
> webkitNotifications - surrounded by ENABLE(GLOBAL_SCRIPT) and
> prefixed with 'webkit' to keep the difference.

Here's what I think we should take a look at:

1) Does this proposal have a potential standards-track future?
Relevant specific issues would be interest from other browser vendors
and standards folks, interest from content producers, and our own
degree of confidence that this is the right approach. Note: in some
cases a prototype can be the best way to address concerns, however. In
some cases we're willing to add proprietary extensions that have
little hope of ever becoming a standard, but almost always we do this
for the sake of non-browser use.

2) Do we have some agreement in the WebKit community that this is a
good approach? It would be good for us to do some of our own design
review, if this isn't going to be a standard in the foreseeable future.

If we are optimistic about the future, then an ENABLE macro and a
WebKit prefix would be a good way to handle things.

I will do some detailed design review soon.

Regards,
Maciej