[webkit-dev] Standing of the WINCE port

Peter Kasting pkasting at google.com
Fri Aug 28 12:26:53 PDT 2009

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 12:14 PM, George Staikos <staikos at kde.org> wrote:

> The development of Iris Browser for Windows CE has been suspended, but we
> still plan to contribute to WebKit as a project and this does not preclude
> working on code specific to a given port.  I think there is clearly enough
> interest in the Windows CE port to keep it around, and the impact on the
> tree is really not that big.  The more intrusive changes that were done by
> Torch Mobile were specific to certain classes of features, really.  I see no
> reason to pull it out.

I'm not opposed to leaving things in.  I am curious as to the future of
certain specific features.  For example, the WinCE port as written had a lot
of Image system changes, and while I don't think they would have landed
as-is, they were prompting discussion about how to redesign some of the
Image subsystem to accommodate them.  If we're still hoping to land these
changes (in some form) it imposes a different set of design constraints than
if we're not.

Anyway, thanks for the reply.

PK