[webkit-dev] I *HATE* CHANGELOGS!!!

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Fri Aug 28 12:18:22 PDT 2009

On 26-Aug-09, at 2:44 PM, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> On Aug 26, 2009, at 5:38 PM, Geoffrey Garen wrote:
>
>>> Detailed descriptions, bug links, test instructions, and a link
>>> back to the entire original review history are all part of
>>> Chromium commits, yet we don't use ChangeLogs.  I think
>>> discipline about what to include + tooling to support it are
>>> orthogonal to a project's use of a ChangeLog as the mechanism for
>>> conveying this information.
>>
>> [This question not necessarily just for Peter:]
>>
>> If we removed the discipline of reviewing ChangeLogs, and the
>> tools that autogenerate a ChangeLog template and check for a
>> ChangeLog entry without an "OOPs I didn't get this reviewed"
>> message, what would we replace them with?
>
> I can imagine a discipline where we ensure that pending commit
> entries sit in a designated file in your tree, are made by a tool
> much like prepare-ChangeLog, are included in patches by svn-create-
> patch, are applied by svn-apply-patch, and are used by commit-log-
> editor. That would ensure the entries go through the patch life
> cycle just as much as currently.
>
> Another possibility is to have a review site (bugzilla?) be the
> canonical place for log entries until they get committed. At commit
> time, a tool would pull from this location.

    I want to add a +1 for the "hate changelogs" group.  I have been
advocating this for about 4 years now.  It's much more painful when
on a remote, slow link.  Is it really a problem to generate the
ChangeLog files from the svn commit messages on a daily or weekly
basis?  There are scripts for this.

--
George Staikos
Torch Mobile Inc.