[webkit-dev] Whitespace changes

Mark Rowe mrowe at apple.com
Thu Aug 27 13:29:13 PDT 2009

On 2009-08-27, at 11:55, Peter Kasting wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 10:43 PM, David Levin <levin at chromium.org>
> wrote:
> fwiw, I know that the check-webkit-style checks for trailing
> whitespace (and I approved that change - sorry), but I think it
> should probably be removed.
>
> Maintaining a cultural attitude that is widely positive towards
> cleanup makes people feel less reticent about cleaning up, and
> taking ownership of, code; frowning on certain types of cleanup
> makes people less likely to do _any_ cleanup.

Given that the "cleanliness" of the WebKit code has improved
dramatically in the four years that I have been involved with the
project where we have typically eschewed making style-only clean-ups,
I don't think there's much basis for your conclusion.

> As far as blame annotations, I don't mind paging past a cleanup
> change when trying to do archaeology on code; I have to go past
> enough other changes already that one more doesn't make much of a
> difference overall.

It is quite obvious that these sorts of changes do make tracking a
relative change back to its origin more tedious.  Depending on your
workflow it may not be sufficiently more work than it already is, but
WebKit has many contributors with many different workflows that will
be impacted by different amounts.

- Mark