[webkit-dev] I *HATE* CHANGELOGS!!!

William Siegrist wsiegrist at apple.com
Wed Aug 26 17:39:53 PDT 2009

On Aug 26, 2009, at 5:29 PM, Brady Eidson wrote:

> On Aug 26, 2009, at 5:26 PM, Mark Rowe wrote:

>>> Is there any sort of guarantee that a post commit hook for
>>> revision N will complete before the post commit hook for revision
>>> N + 1 executes?
>>>
>>> Couldn't that accomplish this?
>>

>> Generating two SVN revisions for each change would be awful.
>
> And - I honestly don't know the answer to this - there's actually
> *NO* way to alter a previous commit in SVN, even when you have full
> access to the server?

Yes, you take down the subversion service, dump the repo to a file,
edit it, then reload. WebKit's repo would take a long time to do this
(hours at least).  Then everyone with a working copy would need to
checkout from scratch to get the "new" repo.

You can alter commit messages after the fact quite easily, but not
actual files.

-Bill