[webkit-dev] I *HATE* CHANGELOGS!!!

Peter Kasting pkasting at google.com
Wed Aug 26 17:30:06 PDT 2009

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 4:51 PM, Darin Adler <darin at apple.com> wrote:

> I get lots of history about the bug, including bug numbers that point me at
> bugs.webkit.org and even Apple’s internal Radar. And I often use the date
> to follow up reading the change in trac.
>
> On the projects I’ve worked on with more low key change description
> disciplines, I find that check-in comments or their equivalents are vague,
> and missing critical information like the name of the reviewer, whether the
> code is tested, the nature of the bug being fixed, and the nature of the
> fix.
>
> I agree that in theory we could find a different way of doing the project
> that still encourages people to communicate these things, but I am
> skeptical.

Detailed descriptions, bug links, test instructions, and a link back to the
entire original review history are all part of Chromium commits, yet we
don't use ChangeLogs.  I think discipline about what to include + tooling to
support it are orthogonal to a project's use of a ChangeLog as the mechanism
for conveying this information.

PK