[webkit-dev] Implementation thoughts on HTML5 elements

Peter Kasting pkasting at google.com
Wed Aug 26 16:02:52 PDT 2009

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 3:57 PM, Oliver Hunt <oliver at apple.com> wrote:

> The site doesn't rely on the UA providing a nice UI, but by setting these
> attributes it allows a UA that *can* provide an enhanced user experience to
> do so.  For instance type=search does not have to do anything, but on UAs
> that support it, it can maintain things like search history or whatnot.
>
> There is also the potential for these attributes to allow improved support
> for accessibility or input methods.

Yes, I completely agree.  In fact that's much of the point for things like
tel (especially on mobile phones).

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 3:59 PM, Alex Russell <slightlyoff at google.com>
 wrote:

> Lots of stuff on the web is best-effort, particularly when system
> integration is the point. I'm not sure that saying "the experience
> will be different" changes what semantics should be available to
> authors in any way.

I wasn't suggesting changing any semantics available to authors.  I am fine
with these types.

My comments are narrowly directed at Anthony Ricaud's comment that
"...email, url, tel ... are exposed but without new functionality. Before
that, a simple test ... was sufficient to provide an alternative via
Javascript if necessary. And it goes against the philosophy of testing the
functionality instead of relying on browser sniffing."  I am saying that
there is nothing _wrong_ with the current WebKit implementations of email,
url, tel, search.

PK