[webkit-dev] Implementation thoughts on HTML5 elements

Peter Kasting pkasting at google.com
Wed Aug 26 15:53:56 PDT 2009

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 3:49 PM, Anthony Ricaud <rik24d at gmail.com> wrote:

> For other types (email, tel, url), sure, authors can't implement anything
> similar. But they can style them differently, offer indications on how to
> fill them, etc. One of the reason to use new input types in HTML5 is that
> they degrade gracefully, offering hooks to authors to enhance their pages
> for browsers not supporting them while providing the "native" version for
> browsers supporting them. That's no longer possible if new types are exposed
> without new functionality.

Yes, you said as much already.  I maintain that there's no UI for email,
tel, url that authors can expect a UA to provide, and not providing things
like integration with a system address book is not "exposing a new type
without new functionality" in the sense that the UA is somehow lacking
something in the spec.

PK