[webkit-dev] I *HATE* CHANGELOGS!!!

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Wed Aug 26 15:51:52 PDT 2009

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 3:37 PM, David Hyatt <hyatt at apple.com> wrote:

> If the files could just merge properly, I would not be so annoyed, but the
> fact that you basically have to re-resolve conflicts every time anyone beats
> you to a checkin is just horrible.  Surely other people run into this.  It
> wastes time for me on practically every single checkin.... and I have ended
> up causing regressions because I don't wait to re-run layout tests every
> time just because I am trying to get my files landed before someone else
> modified the ChangeLog again.

Do you think it's possible to handle changelog conflicts at serverside?
 i.e. we just commit and svn will automatically add new comment at the top
of changelog.  Because one advantage mentioned in a old thread was that
people without svn will be able to read changes.  And that can be solved if
we can automatically generate changelog out of SVN commit comments.  But
that seem to require Bugzilla supporting new way of submitting changelog
because someone mentioned that another advantage of changelog being comments
gets reviewed.

On top of that sometimes the ChangeLog merges cleanly but puts your entry
> underneath others, and then you have to open the file and move your entry
> back to the top.  Sometimes I have not noticed this and then I land with
> someone else's commit message.

Yeah, it's very annoying.

I just don't get why people are willing to put up with this.  It's really
> driving me crazy.

>From old thread (if I remember correctly)
1. people without svn can read changelog, and there aren't many GUI
applications that let you view svn commit comments nicely.
2. commit comments get reviewed so that we can make sure appropriate
comments are added to the comment as the patch is landed.

Ryosuke