[webkit-dev] Implementation thoughts on HTML5 elements

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Wed Aug 26 15:34:20 PDT 2009

On Aug 26, 2009, at 3:07 PM, Peter Kasting wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 3:04 PM, Michelangelo De Simone <micdesim at gmail.com
> > wrote:
> speaking about type=email a UI element which fetches
> email addresses from user's address book seems a happy choice to me.
>
> Consider that if the user uses a web mail app (e.g. Gmail) the UA
> will have no way of getting that data.  In fact, the UA may not even
> know what mail client the user prefers to use, especially if he uses
> several different ones.

I'd like to see the Mac port of WebKit offer completion based on the
system address book. I think a lot of the times when you enter an
email address on the Web, it's one of your own. Providing a way for
Web-based Mail clients to integrate as a provider of address
information sounds like it would be valuable, not just for <input
type="email"> but for other apps on the OS. Perhaps GMail needs some
way to plug in and provide its data to other apps. One existing way
that would work with Mac OS X (and I expect Windows and Linux too) is
for GMail to provide LDAP access.

Regards,
Maciej