[webkit-dev] Implementation thoughts on HTML5 elements

Peter Kasting pkasting at google.com
Tue Aug 25 23:29:10 PDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 11:21 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com> wrote:

> - new <input> element types
>   These seem generally useful, and we already have some implemented to
> various extents (search, range, email, url tel). The only concern is the
> sheer number of date and time controls. 6 of the 13 new input types are for
> dates or times. Are there real use cases for all 6? Do all 6 exhaustively
> cover the types of time and date input you may want to do in forms?

Without commenting on whether the 6 are too many or too few, one nice thing
(based on both the spec and Opera's implementation of these) is that the
work to implement all 6 looks to not be dramatically more than the work to
implement just one.  Therefore concerns can probably remain focused on
whether this set meets the real needs of the web, without worrying about
implementation difficulty.

PK