[webkit-dev] LayoutTest results choose from which folder?

Dirk Pranke dpranke at chromium.org
Tue Aug 25 16:38:27 PDT 2009

On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 12:23 PM, Dan Bernstein<mitz at apple.com> wrote:

> On Aug 23, 2009, at 11:28 AM, Dirk Pranke wrote:
>
>>> Hi Chris,
>>> In layout test results, we make the latest Mac OS X version the rule, and
>>> earlier versions the exception. Tiger will look for results in mac-tiger
>>> first, then in mac-leopard, then in mac-snowleopard, then in mac, then
>>> finally in cross-platform results. Leopard will begin the search in
>>> mac-leopard, continue to mac-snowleopard, then mac, the cross-platform.
>>> As you can see, there are no expected results in mac-snowleopard (other
>>> than
>>> the ones you just added), because it’s the latest Mac OS X version. We
>>> will
>>> only start putting expected results in mac-snowleopard when the “latest”
>>> version (for which we put results in mac) will be something different.
>>> You should put the expected results for Snow Leopard in platform/mac (or,
>>> if
>>> they are cross-platform, alongside the test), and you should put the
>>> results
>>> for Leopard and earlier in platform/mac-leopard.
>>> —Dan
>>
>> Does this imply that if you've moved results from 'platform/mac' to
>> 'platform/mac-leopard' when you switched from 10.5 to 10.6? (Since,
>> presumable, some results that were in platform/mac were actually
>> specific to 10.5?)
>
> Yes, when the expected results of an existing test change under a new
> version of Mac OS X, legacy expected results are moved from platform/mac to
> platform/mac-<last version with legacy behavior> and current expected
> results are put in platform/mac. <http://trac.webkit.org/changeset/47052> is
> an example.

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the explanation, that definitely helps. Out of curiosity,
when do you make the
platform switch? For example, when did mac stop equalling leopard and
start equaling snowleopard?

It looks like we will adopt the same convention as you, for
consistency's sake, and so I'd like to mirror it as closely as
possible.

-- Dirk