[webkit-dev] svn-* scripts

Jeremy Orlow jorlow at chromium.org
Fri Aug 21 18:15:51 PDT 2009

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 5:57 PM, Joseph Pecoraro <joepeck02 at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Aug 21, 2009, at 8: 32PM, Darin Adler wrote:
>
>> I’m a little irritated that we’re changing our Subversion scripts,
>> svn-create-patch, svn-apply, and svn-unapply into WebKit-specific scripts.
>> Previously, they were scripts that were independent of the particular
>> project that enhanced Subversion in a non-project-specific way. I used the
>> WebKit version on many projects other than the WebKit project.
>>
>> I think the names should change if we’re changing them to do
>> WebKit-specific things.
>>

> I don't think the change I did before was WebKit specific.  And the changes
> (not committed) to svn-[un]apply only reflect the changes to
> svn-create-patch, but are again not WebKit specific.  These changes ensure
> that patches are created and applied from the root of any SVN Repository
> (which in fact is what git does by default and makes the most sense by
> removing any possible ambiguity or forcing someone to know which directory
> they should apply a patch).  There has been some loss of functionality [1],
> but that can be fixed.
>
> [1] Create a patch without svn-create-patch which contains paths not from
> the repository's root and then attempting to use svn-apply or svn-unapply to
> deal with the patch.
>
> These are the only changes I know of.  If there are any others its possible
> they may be WebKit specific.

Even if they were WebKit specific, I guess i don't see what the problem
would be.  After all, the tools are checked into WebKitTools in the webkit
repository.  Making them more useful for WebKit development at the expense
of other development seems like an OK trade-off to me.

Note that you could always grab a version of the files from back when they
behaved the way you wanted and stick them in ~/bin (or some other dir on
your path).