[webkit-dev] JSC without Dependencies

Brent Fulgham bfulgham at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 09:23:52 PDT 2009

Hi Brian,

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 6:38 PM, Brian Barnes<ggadwa at charter.net> wrote:
> On Aug 17, 2009, at 7:08 PM, Brent Fulgham wrote:
>
>> As a full time Windows developer, I'm afraid I really disagree with
>> you on this topic.  I don't think it's correct that since most win32
>> development happens (only) in VS, that it follows that we should aim
>> to only use Visual Studio. I think this limits us to the same poor
>> environment that leads to so much awful Windows software.
>
> Well, the last thing this should turn into is a discussion about development
> environments :)

Yes -- I'm sorry that my last e-mail came of sounding a bit snarky!
It sounded more jocular in my head as I wrote it, but when looking  at
it later I realized it read in a more preachy fashion than I would
have liked.

One possible solution to your problem might be to mirror the
JavaScriptCore subversion tree, and simply add local files in your
repository that are the result of running the make/Perl scripts to
generate the various interface files.  So the workflow might be to (1)
update webkit, (2) run a build to generate the various *.cpp/*.h
files, (3) copy JavaScriptCore files to your local subversion
repository, (4) verify everything builds in your VS-only project, and
publish those sources in a "Windows-only JavaScriptCore" repository
for your game.

Otherwise, I'm not sure how to accommodate your goals.

-Brent