[webkit-dev] JSC without Dependencies

Steve Falkenburg sfalken at apple.com
Mon Aug 17 11:17:53 PDT 2009

On Aug 17, 2009, at 11:04 AM, Brent Fulgham wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 9:19 AM, Brian Barnes<ggadwa at charter.net>
> wrote:
>
>> icu*** (might not be possible, google says these are unicode tools)
>
> The wtf/unicode things need these libraries.  I'm not sure how wise it
> would be to remove them, however this is the largest single external
> dependency you will have to deal with.

It may be possible to replace ICU use with MultiByteToWideChar/
WideCharToMultiByte and similar functions from Win32.

>> pthreadVC2 (based on previous email should not be needed)
>
> I'd like to get rid of this, too.

May be possible to replace this with native Win32 threading and
synchronization calls. I think some work may have been done here
already.

>> 3) Compile all within VS (no makes or external calls) to eliminate
>> any
>> additional dependencies on other tools
>
> You can already do this.  You only need cygwin to easily handle
> retrieving the sources, and I think the Google/Chromium guys have been
> working to remove this dependency.

This one is harder, since JavaScriptCore uses bash, make, perl, and
bison (at least) from cygwin. See the JavaScriptCoreGenerated vcproj,
build-generated-files.sh, DerivedSources.make.
I agree that it would be great to remove this dependency.