[webkit-dev] WebKit and Khronos Group

Harry Underwood raynenamibia at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 11:25:30 PDT 2009

Hello all, just a few questions.
I was reading a post on Ars Technica from earlier this
week<http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2009/08/webgl-standard-to-bring-3d-web-without-browser-plugins.ars>concerning
the Khronos Group's announcement of a partnership on WebGL
development with Google, Mozilla and Opera. Weirdly, I didn't see Apple in
that list, or WebKit for that matter.
Is Apple and/or WebKit abstaining from WebGL because Google is promoting a
seemingly-competing product, O3D, as opposed to your efforts with CSS 2D/3D
Transforms and Animations? Or is it because WebGL, as announced by Khronos
Group, simply doesn't yet take CSS (or SVG) into technical account for
hardware accelerated 3D Web graphics?

Harry