[webkit-dev] Towards a commit-queue

David Kilzer ddkilzer at webkit.org
Sat Aug 1 13:13:38 PDT 2009

On Saturday, August 1, 2009 11:45:43 AM, Ojan Vafai wrote:

>On Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 2:08 PM, Adam Barth <abarth at webkit.org> wrote:
>>On Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 11:04 AM, David Kilzer<ddkilzer at webkit.org> wrote:
>>> Bugzilla has the ability to create additional 4-state flags at
>>> both the attachment level and at the bug level.  (Note that
>>> bugs.webkit.org does not have bug-level flags enabled.)
>>>
>>> For example, we could create a "commit" attachment flag which
>>> would have four states (just like the "review" flag):  <none>,
>>> commit?, commit+, commit-.
>>>
>>> I'm not sure if this helps or hurts, though it would have
>>> made abarth's desired workflow much nicer.
>>
>> Yeah, that sounds great.  Should we try that out for a while
>> and see if it's useful?
>
> This seems fine to me, except it adds yet another layer of
> complexity to the review process. I think getting patches
> landed more quickly is probably worth it though. This is
> essentially a slightly more complicated (but easier to
> implement?) version of Maciej's proposal from a few weeks
> ago to get rid of r* and have the following four review
> states:
>
> REQUESTED
> DENIED
> APPROVED WITH MODIFICATIONS
> APPROVED
>
> One benefit over the above is that, I don't think we need
> to restrict commit+ to people with svn commit bit, as long
> as a patch is r+'ed or r+'ed with modifications.

This would require a non-trivial amount of modification to Bugzilla, and it would make future upgrades much more difficult.

Basically, Adam's asking for a flag to make it easier for bugzilla-tool to know when to land patches without human intervention.  Currently, a committer must look at each patch's review comments to make this determination.

Either we should change the review process to only set the review+ flag if the patch is ready to go with zero modifications, or we should use the commit+ flag to signify that.

I could go either way on this.  I don't like the idea of setting review- flags for trivial fixes that could be landed with minor modifications.  On the other hand, being able to commit patches directly from bugs.webkit.org with bugzilla-tool is really handy.

Dave