[webkit-dev] Reporting exceptions from worker context to users

Michael Nordman michaeln at google.com
Sat Aug 1 10:35:16 PDT 2009

Shared workers can also communicate directly with one another, is that
right? And its possible to have a shared worker whose only client is
another shared worker, is that right?

Feels like we should be working towards inspecting shared workers
directly. Where a page inspector would show which shared workers it
was connected to, and you could open a separate inspector to see what
is going on within each shared worker (including which shared workers
it was connected to).

Broadcasting exceptions within a worker to its clients for inspection
purposes may be useful even with separate inspectors per shared
worker. The client's 'shared worker' tab  (or console) could log
unhandled exceptions occurring in each, as you described, encouraging
the developer to look into it... open the shared worker inspector and
poke around.

About broadcasting unhandled shared worker exceptions in general...

It makes sense to have unhandled exceptions in a dedicated process
propagated to the parent page's context (which may presumably handle
the exception in some way). But I'm not sure that model applies to
unhandled exceptions in shared workers. The possibility of multiple
connected pages, which should "handle it"? Seems good for
logging/debugging purposes to have them show up in the client's
inspector, but doesn't sound like a good fit for application execution
purposes.