[webkit-dev] SharedWorker design doc

Drew Wilson atwilson at google.com
Tue Apr 21 15:31:48 PDT 2009

I followed up with David Levin, who has been working on some chrome-internal
refactoring of the loader code necessitated by the fact that workers in
Chrome run in a different process from the loading frame.
David's take is that long term we'll need to change the loader code so it is
not dependent on a specific frame - his upcoming refactoring may facilitate
this, but there will still be a significant amount of work to achieve this
in WebKit. Over the short term, he suggested that we might be able to
suspend the parent frame, such that it still exists for the purposes of
allowing associated workers to perform network loads, but it itself no
longer has an open window and its active DOM objects are shutdown. When the
last child worker exits, the parent frame can be completely discarded.

I'll need to dig further into this, but I wanted to see whether you thought
this was a reasonable approach and what obstacles there might be to
implementing this.

-atw