[webkit-dev] Allowing webkit clients to extend XHR security policy

Alexey Proskuryakov ap at webkit.org
Thu Apr 9 01:01:57 PDT 2009

On 09.04.2009, at 11:38, Aaron Boodman wrote:

> Chromium extensions run in the same scheme (chrome-extension://), but
> they do not run in the same origin. They all have unique origins of
> the form chrome-extension://<extension-id>/. Security origin is scheme
> + host + port.

OK, I didn't know that the scheme was hierarchical (seems obvious in
hindsight). So, we don't have any major problems with this feature!

> I don't mind doing it on FrameLoaderClient. Forgive the noob question,
> but I'm newish to webkit... How should this be plumbed?

I don't have a definitive answer (which is why I originally suggested
modeling the solution after FrameLoader::registerURLSchemeAsLocal()
and avoiding callbacks). Clearly, doing it on FrameLoaderClient is no
different from doing it via a non-static call on any other client
class, like the potential ScriptOriginClient - either ScriptOrigin
will need to keep a pointer to client class, or all callers will need
to pass it with each call.

>> At least the preflight stuff for AC logically belongs to
>> DocumentThreadableLoader - we need to move it there to reasonably
>> implement
>> redirects for cross-origin requests. The rest (which I think is just
>> canLoadLocalResources checks for Dashboard) isn't relevant to this
>> discussion, because these checks do not access static data.
>
> But how will DocumentThreadableLoader know what policy to apply?  Some
> things are allowed to be loaded across origins (iframes) without AC,
> and some things aren't (XHR). Maybe I am misunderstanding and
> DocumentThreadableLoader is only used for XHR? Or maybe there is some
> context that will be available?
>
> I'm sure I'm just misunderstanding here, I'm just curious what you had
> in mind more than anything.

ThreadableLoader is used for different things indeed, but it is is
already configurable (e.g. whether to do content sniffing, or to use

I see it as a bottleneck for DOM-initiated loading - that is,
everything that can be initiated from a worker, as opposed to markup.
The distinction is admittedly rather vague - e.g. if we ever allow XML
DOM and XSLT in workers, XSL stylesheets will need to be loaded
through this interface, too (but those are also known to be a
potential future application of cross-origin access control).

Regardless of how it plays out in the future, I think that moving
access control implementation to loader thread/process is a clear win.

- WBR, Alexey Proskuryakov