[webkit-dev] AppCache functionality provided by the embedder of webkit

Michael Nordman michaeln at google.com
Tue Apr 7 11:26:34 PDT 2009

Good question.
In general, we've avoided using WebKit code in what we call the browser
process (that's the main process in chrome). I'm not sure how firm that
policy is. If we were to utilize significant amounts of webcore code in the
browser process, we'd have an interesting conundrum about which thread we'd
have webkit consider its "main" thread. For appcache purposes, this would
ideally be some background thread, for other purposes this would ideally be
what we call the UI thread in the browser process.

Ultimately, I think an arrangement that you're alluding to would be the best
answer. A common implementation of the AppCache with clean dependencies and
interfaces such that it can be re-used in different environments.

I was not gunning to take that on as part of my project in the near term as
I think that would be disruptive to Chrome and WebKit alike. But down that
road, this is an intriguing idea.