[webkit-dev] setTimeout as browser speed throttle

Peter Kasting pkasting at chromium.org
Tue Sep 30 15:03:00 PDT 2008

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 2:50 PM, David Hyatt <hyatt at apple.com> wrote:

> Note that these problems in Safari came from having no clamp at all.  Even
> Chrome has a 1ms clamp.

Right.  We weren't proposing making setTimeout() unclamped; just lowering
the clamp.  (And I'm sorry for using the word "unclamp" in my first email
and thus totally muddying the waters here; mea culpa.)  While we currently
use a 1 ms clamp, 3 or 4 ms also seem like reasonable possibilities.

When we made the change in our tree, we looked very carefully for sites it
would affect.  We continued to look for the several months we tested after
that, and during our public release.  So far we just have not seen a major
web compatibility issue.  There have been a couple of cases we've seen that
use more CPU than we'd like, which would be addressed by using a 3 ms clamp
instead of 1 ms.

PK