[webkit-dev] setTimeout as browser speed throttle

Brady Eidson beidson at apple.com
Tue Sep 30 13:35:37 PDT 2008

On Sep 30, 2008, at 1:19 PM, Peter Kasting wrote:
> FWIW, I'm in favor of an additional API alongside this one if it
> enables fully-uncapped timers and higher resolution than 1 ms -- but
> I don't think that changes the argument for also lowering the cap on
> setTimeout().

I think it does change the argument...

There are web authors out there who are willing and capable to make
changes or at least *test* against new web browser behavior or APIs.
And there are web authors out there who are *not* willing or capable
to make changes or at least test.

If we add a new well specified API that all browser vendors agree on,
everybody wins.  If we start changing the de-facto reality of
setTimeout() then the second group of people are potentially hosed.

Providing a properly specified standard for high resolution timers
gives web pages the ability to run faster timers than the current de-
facto reality and negates the need to introduce new incompatibilities
into the already published web by changing setTimeout().

~Brady