[webkit-dev] setTimeout as browser speed throttle

Alexey Proskuryakov ap at webkit.org
Tue Sep 30 09:32:37 PDT 2008

Sep 30, 2008, в 8:13 PM, Mike Belshe написал(а):

> Thanks - I did see that bug.  Intentionally spinning the CPU vis
> setTimeout(,0) is not a problem if it is what the application
> intended.

I don't quite agree - even though this may have been the intention,
the application developer will not be aware of all the consequences
without testing in Safari/Chrome. The site will work perfectly in IE
and Firefox, but in WebKit-based browsers, it will eat battery, make
the computer too hot to hold on one's knees, and change the pitch of
noise coming from it. These are quite practical issues.

It may also work "faster" - but chances are that this delay is not
important for user experience, given that the code was deployed and
works adequately in other browsers.

Otherwise, I certainly agree that having a high resolution timer
support is a good idea.

- WBR, Alexey Proskuryakov