[webkit-dev] Some thoughts about platform flags

Eric Seidel eric at webkit.org
Wed Sep 24 23:35:04 PDT 2008

Sam and I talked about this at length over coffee this evening.

He and I agreed, this conversation should be less about #ifdefs and
more about abstractions.  I'm sure I'm clear on which abstractions we
need for Chromium (beyond ScriptController, and GraphicsContext),
certainly not as clear as Darin or Amanda would be.  Code examples
could help here.

-eric

p.s. Also, my comment earlier about leniency was more seeking to avoid
the intentional or unintentional filibuster of Chromium additions to
WebKit.  We (Chromium) want to live out of WebKit's tree.  To do so
will require a number of changes (mostly not to core classes).  Few of
those changes should be #ifdefs.  I in no way wish to propose
"lowering" of WebKit's high coding standards, simply realizing that as
WebKit did with the initial Mac port (on KWQ), the initial Windows
port, the landing of SVG code, or the landing of any large section of
code, our Chromium code will not be perfect when it lands.  But we'd
like to get it in to webkit.org as soon as possible to get our hackers
hacking with the rest of WebKit on core WebKit improvements, instead
of just on our port maintenance.

p.p.s.  I should also note that Amanda is currently focused on the Mac
port, while changes you've seen from myself and others are about our
Windows port.  We owe you a lot of Windows code yet, but Amanda's
primary concern (as I understand it) is how to lay the foundation for
a successful Mac port of Chromium.  Since we're open this time around,
we'd like to share as much code with the Apple-Mac-WebKit up-front,
instead of forking so many files as we did for our Windows port.