[webkit-dev] Some thoughts about platform flags

Amanda Walker amanda at chromium.org
Wed Sep 24 22:10:32 PDT 2008

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 7:25 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com> wrote:
> On Sep 24, 2008, at 3:36 PM, Darin Fisher wrote:
> > I don't think anything about our port implies hosted in a rendering
> > subprocess.  Our port works perfectly well in a single process traditional
> > browser model.  We build two embedding apps based on our port of WebKit:
>  > test_shell and chrome.  The former is like a mash-up of DRT and Spinneret.
>
> OK; that appears to disagree with what Amanda said above.

Not really--our architectural changes were made to support
multiprocess rendering, but they do not require it.  test_shell still
renders into a bitmap and then blits that to the OS window, it just
does it all within a single process.  But all of the drawing, event
handling, geometry management, etc. go through the same set of host &
delegate interfaces that the multiprocess app does, rather than
talking to the top level view(s) directly.  The implementations of
those interfaces in test_shell are just a lot simpler.

--Amanda