[webkit-dev] Some thoughts about platform flags

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Wed Sep 24 16:22:37 PDT 2008

On Sep 24, 2008, at 3:30 PM, Amanda Walker wrote:

> The renderer process will be using CoreText, CG, some Cocoa, etc., but
> using the Apple WebView sitting inside an NSScrollView which is in
> turn inside an NSWindow--we must introduce a proxy, since remoting
> NSView or NSWindow over DO doesn't work terribly well.  This is part
> of what gave us the idea of using a flag that denotes the
> architecture, since the code changes are there to support this
> difference in architecture, not platform per se.  However, I agree
> that USE or ENABLE on specific architecture features is a much better
> way to do this.

Do you guys have cross-process rendering working on Mac yet, even as a
prototype? I am wondering if these statements about what is required
to do it have been tested or are just assumptions.

I ask because I suspect doing cross-process rendering efficiently on
Mac is nontrivial and I would be concerned that changes could be made
that go in the wrong direction, if there isn't a proof of concept done
first.

Cheers,
Maciej