[webkit-dev] keypress not firing when wmode=transparent Flash in focus

astgtciv astgtciv at alum.mit.edu
Sat Sep 13 19:13:55 PDT 2008

Hi, guys,

Before posting this as a bug, I thought I would enquire whether perhaps this is a feature of Webkit.
It appears that when Flash (embedded with wmode=transparent) is in focus on a page, the keypress event is not fired (i.e., the corresponding javascript handlers are not invoked). keydown/keyup are fired, but not keypress. In IE and FF the keypress event is fired for wmode=transparent Flash.

I need this for the following workaround of the horrendous wmode=transparent Flash text input bugs: http://analogcode.com/p/JSTextReader/ .
I made a thread about this here: http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3962834 .

Should I submit this to WebKit Bugzilla?

Cheers,
max