[webkit-dev] Scrollbar Changes

Peter Kasting pkasting at chromium.org
Fri Sep 12 13:58:09 PDT 2008

(resending since I used the wrong address the first time)

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 12:06 PM, Dave Hyatt <hyatt at apple.com> wrote:

> If any ports have special needs for this Scrollbar class (or for
> ScrollbarTheme), send me email or respond in this thread.  I know that
> both WebKit on OS X and Google Chrome have need of tickmarks support on
> scrollbars, so this will ultimately need to be built into the rendering
> model.

There is subtle, platform-specific scrollbar behavior that took me a long
time to get right when I wrote the Chromium scrollbar implementation, such
as exactly how snapping the scrollbar back should work when dragging too far
off the bar both horizontally and vertically, and how scrollbars should
behave once shrunk to tiny sizes.  I don't think these things will be the
same on, say, Windows versus Mac (at least not for ports whose scrollbars
pretend to be fully platform-native), so it's not clear how the redesign
will accommodate these.

PK