[webkit-dev] Can someone give insight on this error?

Mark Rowe mrowe at apple.com
Wed Sep 10 12:43:45 PDT 2008

On Sep 10, 2008, at 12:32 PM, Ryan McGrath wrote:

> I was doing some work on making various templates compatible with
> Webkit's engine, and I've run into this error (intermittently, a
> refresh
> will sometimes fix it) on most versions of Webkit.
>
> /Operation could not be completed. (kCFErrorDomainCFNetwork error
> 302.)”
> (kCFErrorDomainCFNetwork:302)

Error 302 in kCFErrorDomainCFNetwork maps to
kCFErrorHTTPConnectionLost, which indicates that "The connection to
the server was dropped. This usually indicates a highly overloaded
server".

> /I've noticed that the exact same symptoms occur in Chrome (I know
> it's
> Webkit, though I'm not sure to what extent the codebases are the
> same -
> shouldn't be too different I assume) under the following bug:
>
> /Error 2 (net::ERR_FAILED): Unknown error.

The underlying HTTP stack in Chrome is completely different than what
is used in Safari's WebKit.  Safari's WebKit makes use of CFNetwork,
but I'm not sure what exactly Chrome uses. If you have reproducible
instances of this problem you should file bug reports against
CFNetwork (<http://bugreport.apple.com/>) and Chrome (<http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/entry
 >) so that they can be investigated by the respective teams.  Given
that two different HTTP stacks are running into a similar issue it is
quite possible that the problem is in fact a server-side issue where
the server is prematurely dropping the connection.

- Mark