[webkit-dev] WebKit and Windows/Cygwin

Mark Rowe mrowe at apple.com
Tue Sep 9 11:43:24 PDT 2008

On Sep 9, 2008, at 11:02 AM, Frank.Lautenbach at softechnics.com wrote:

> Apparently that's not what I want then. It is still curious that I
> can't
> seem to build it under cygwin (as per the instructions.) Perhaps
> this is
> due to the fact that after I got the source, the update command
> doesn't
> succeed. It always fails at some point, so maybe the tree is not being
> updated completely for a proper build.

The error mentioned in your initial email indicates that the build-
webkit script had detected that you were attempting to build the Qt
Windows port rather than the Apple Windows port.  It failed to build
the Qt Windows port due to having an older version of Qt installed
than what WebKit requires to build.  You can force it to build the
Apple Windows port, which the instructions on webkit.org are aiming to
build, by unsetting the QTDIR environment variable before running
build-webkit.

> I did download the nightly build the other day and noticed that after
> all was said and done, running it simply called Safari.exe (which I
> had
> to install) and passed it a command line parameter pointing to the
> downloaded webkit. I take it this is calling Safari and over-riding
> the
> default engine Safari.exe was built with using the one referenced on
> the
> command line. In other words, this allows for customization of
> Safari.exe?

Safari is set up to allow an updated version of WebKit to be used with
it, yes.  This is for the purpose of testing new WebKit versions and
is not a supported mechanism for extending Safari.exe.

Kind regards,

Mark Rowe