[webkit-dev] Where can I get basic WebKit software?

David Kilzer ddkilzer at webkit.org
Fri Sep 5 04:15:18 PDT 2008

> 1) I am really wondering whether the above all modules are
> related to "QtPort" or basic independent Webkit library?

All of those directories are for the Qt port of WebKit.  The platform code just isn't in WebCore/platform, it's in multiple "platform" directories beneath the WebCore tree.

> 2) I am unable to find out the basic Webkit document in
> Internet.

Most new porters complain about the lack of documentation, but (in my opinion) there's really no substitute for reading the source code.  I realize this is a daunting task for a code base as big as WebKit, but ultimately that's what you're going to have to do to make the port work.

Having said that, there is some more documentation on the wiki <http://trac.webkit.org/wiki> (note that some info may be a little out-of-date), and you may find more by searching the webkit-dev archive for "documentation":

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=site:lists.webkit.org/pipermail/webkit-dev+documentation&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

You may also post questions about the source here on webkit-dev, or ask questions in the #webkit IRC channel on irc.freenode.net.

Finally, I would start by getting JavaScriptCore compiling first, then WebCore, and finally WebKit.  You don't need JavaScriptGlue, and you won't use anything in WebKitLibraries.  Once you have a project compiling, try running the tests for it.  (JavaScriptCore has WebKitTools/Scripts/run-javascriptcore-tests, and WebCore has WebKitTools/Scripts/run-webkit-tests, although this requires a port of WebKitTools/DumpRenderTree to be implemented as well.)

Also, it will be very helpful if you are able to compile and run an existing port (e.g., the port closest to your platform) so you can trace through its code when you can't figure out how to implement your port's method.  (Looking at other ports' implementations of a method may also help.)

Hope that helps!

Dave