[webkit-dev] How to access resource meta-data

Andrew S. Townley ast at atownley.org
Wed Oct 29 09:30:03 PDT 2008

Hi Darin,

On Wed, 2008-10-29 at 09:10 -0700, Darin Adler wrote:
> On Oct 29, 2008, at 1:51 AM, Andrew S. Townley wrote:
>
> > I'm having trouble finding where you would be able to
> > access resource meta-data information, say given a WebKitWebView.
>
> Maybe you could give one specific example of a piece of meta-data,
> then we can tell you how you'd get to it with the Mac OS X WebKit API.
> Then you could figure out given that what the GTK+ equivalent is or
> should be.
>
> The general category "resource meta-data" is probably too broad to
> usefully discuss.

Fair enough.  What I'm looking for at a minimum is the headers
associated with each HTTP response.  It would be nice to also be able to
extract any HTML meta tags and have access to those as well.

Other "interesting" things available to the user from Firefox's Page
Info dialog include:

 - Referring URL
 - Additional security information
 - Number of visits, cookies, etc.
 - List of linked/inline resources

However, I can do the majority of what I need with the headers.

Presently, I'm resorting to sending a follow-up HTTP HEAD request to the
URI with an external library when I get the "load_finished" signal.
>From here, I have a WebView and a WebFrame.  Of course, this is
extremely ugly and adds an extra network request per resource, so I'm
not happy with doing it this way.  Unfortunately, it's the only way I
can find at the moment.

Thanks in advance,

ast
--