[webkit-dev] EOT Support in WebKit

Peter Kasting pkasting at chromium.org
Fri Oct 17 14:58:45 PDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 2:52 PM, David Hyatt <hyatt at apple.com> wrote:

> It's important to recognize that if you flip the EOT switch, you're going
> to end up using EOT over TTF in many cases.  In fact if IE *does* in end up
> skipping TTF files properly, the font you get in Chrome would actually
> depend on the specification order in the @font-face rule (you'd just end up
> randomly using EOT sometimes and TTF other times).  You'd be the only vendor
> subject to this issue by supporting both formats.

Unless we can convince Microsoft to support TTF.  Or other vendors end up
supporting EOT.  Or we write some crazy parser hack that prefers TTF over
EOT when both are available (ugh).

It's not clear to me whether "support EOT to make it easier to gain
marketshare in India and thus provide an alternative browser where authors
can deploy TTF" is a better long-term bet for the success of TTF than "try
to convince Microsoft to support TTF in IE".

PK