[webkit-dev] EOT Support in WebKit

Peter Kasting pkasting at chromium.org
Fri Oct 17 08:35:53 PDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 1:35 AM, David Hyatt <hyatt at apple.com> wrote:

> I believe this to be one of those rare cases.  Before making this
> decision, however, I would like to hear from representatives for the
> other WebKit ports.  In the absence of any strong vendor support, I do
> not believe we should add this code to the WebKit tree.

As noted on the bug, I believe the motivation for that patch is that a large
number of sites in India rely on EOT.

I'm not convinced that supporting EOT in the no-DRM way Hixie proposes is
harmful, although I wish it weren't needed.  Still, it's not harmful to
users (or technically impossible) in the same sort of way that, say,
supporting every ActiveX control would be.  Scanning the W3 thread very
briefly, it looks like all the DRM/licensing-related issues are people's
main complaints about EOT (that and "without them this doesn't buy you
anything over TTF", which is probably true, but IMO somewhat irrelevant).

I think you misstate yourself on the bug when you say Chrome is unwilling to
take the patch.  What you asked on IRC was whether one of us (i.e. the
Mountain View-based Chrome folks) was writing the patch.  We weren't, but
that doesn't mean we're opposed to taking it.  If it landed we would
probably be happy to have it, though I am not sure; it really came out of
the blue for us so I'm not sure we have a well-defined opinion.  In any
case, please do not say things like "neither Safari nor Chrome wants this".

PK