[webkit-dev] Webkit (Mobile Safari) issues in the iPhone

David Kilzer ddkilzer at webkit.org
Thu Oct 16 02:26:59 PDT 2008

On Wed, 10/15/08, Diego Taylor <diego.taylor at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 2:09 AM, David Kilzer <ddkilzer at webkit.org> wrote:
> > Having said that, if you're seeing an issue with -[UIWebView
> > stringByEvaluatingJavaScriptFromString:], please file a bug
> > on <http://developer.apple.com/bugreporter/>.  A reproducible
> > test case (orattaching your entire project as a zip archive)
> > with steps to reproduce is greatly appreciated.  Thanks!
>
> But I am now mainly lookin for a (even little) hint from
> most experienced developers, since I feel (from weeks of
> debugging) that the issue is related with DOMRange(s),
> surroundContents(), normalize() and events in the UI. But
> may be is not happening on Safari/Chrome (I can't do
> the exact test with these browsers). The crash doesn't
> happen when I call javascript, it happens later and I can
> force this crashes calling a layout function inside the
> webview.

How are you forcing layout?  If you're calling a method on a WebView object, then you're using non-public API and, as I mentioned earlier, your application may crash or hang.

If you just need a way to force layout in JavaScript, this may be done by executing this statement:

    document.body.offsetTop;

Dave