[webkit-dev] Font cache cleaning

Frederic Marmond fmarmond at pleyo.com
Fri Oct 10 06:29:48 PDT 2008

Hi people,

I just wonder how to clear the font cache, arbitrary.
For example, when leaving a site, clear all cached font data, to start loading
the new page in a 'clean' environment.

I know it may slow down things :)  old memory vs speed debate...

I tried to call the FontCache::invalidate(); in my
WebFrameLoaderClient::postProgressFinishedNotification(), but it doesn't do
anything in my testcase.

I use valgrind to see what goes on.

my testcase is very simple:
first.html:
second.html:

If I load first.html and then the second.html by clicking the link, then exit,
I would expect memory be less used than if I only load first.html and exit.
That's not the case, arial font datas are not cleared despite my invalidate()
call.

I'm a bit lost in the Font Cache, is there any guru that may kindly point me
where to look?
I tried to modify cTargetInactiveFontData and related parameters, without
success, I can't manage to limit the font cache size... it grows and grows :(

Thanks in advance,
best regards

Fred