[webkit-dev] 答复: 答复: 答复: About the layout test result.

Bely belyxiong at coomosoft.com
Wed Oct 8 19:11:05 PDT 2008

Oh, I see.

Thank you for your great help!

-- Bely

-----邮件原件-----
发件人: macdome at gmail.com [mailto:macdome at gmail.com] 代表 Eric Seidel
发送时间: 2008年10月8日 3:44
收件人: Dan Bernstein
抄送: Bely; webkit-dev at lists.webkit.org; Mark Rowe
主题: Re: [webkit-dev] 答复: 答复: About the layout test result.

My earlier statement was inaccurate.  It is not the *port* which

requires the fonts, but rather the tests themselves (many of which

come from the W3C or other publicly available test suites).  The tests

make specific request for fonts (like Ahem, Times, Verdana, Helvetica)

which are not provided by default on windows systems.  To mitigate

this, folks set the WEBKIT_TESTFONTS environment variable and point it

at a directory containing windows versions of the required fonts.  As

I pointed out in my previous mail, it is possible to find windows

versions of these fonts on the interwebs.  Although whether or not you

have license to use these fonts is for you to determine.  IANAL. :)

Safari for Windows ships with a certain set of licensed fonts (which

is not a fully overlapping set with the set of fonts used/required-by

the Layout Tests), many of these fonts Apple bundles with Safari for

Windows ship as part of Mac OS X and happen to be some of the same

fonts used by these test suites.

My complaint earlier was that we don't have any results checked in to

webkit.org's svn repository which use the "default" windows set of

fonts.  I now realize that that's such results wouldn't necessarily be

very useful.  If you don't have the required fonts for the test suites

on your machine, that means webkit would use whatever fallback fonts

are specified in the tests.  That would result in less-repeatable test

results, since if you happened to have some of the "required" fonts

installed, you'd get results which neither match the Apple-WebKit-Win

results or some theoretical

Apple-WebKit-using-only-windows-default-fonts results.

My apologies for any confusion my statements may have caused.

-eric

2008/10/7 Eric Seidel <eric at webkit.org>:

> If you search the web for WEBKIT_TESTFONTS you may be able to find a

> copy of the fonts you need.

> It's kinda lame that the current set of windows layout tests requires

> these fonts.  Eventually I would like to see a set of results checked

> in which do not require Apple-provided fonts, but right now there is

> no WebKit windows port shipping out of webkit.org which does not use

> those Apple fonts.

> -eric

> 2008/10/7 Dan Bernstein <mitz at apple.com>:

>> On Oct 6, 2008, at 10:56 PM, Bely wrote:

>> Thanks Dan!

>> But what fonts should I install on windows to run the tests and where can

>> get them?

>> The initialize() function in

>> WebKitTools/DumpRenderTree/win/DumpRenderTree.cpp lists all of them,

>> alongside other fonts (Ahem and the WebKit* fonts) that are in the WebKit

>> source tree. The Times family alone would probably suffice for the
majority

>> of the tests. I do not know how or even whether any or all of the
required

>> fonts are available for installation on Windows.

>> -- Dan

>> Thanks!

>> -- Bely

>> ________________________________

in

>> VC8 using "debug"

>> configuration, I execute the tests by invoking run-webkit-tests in cygwin

>> console like:

>> ./run-webkit-tests

>> First time it says WebKitGUID.lib is missing, I rename
WebKitGUID_debug.lib

>> to WebKitGUID.lib,

>> And later it says WTF_debug.lib is missing, again I rename WTF_debug.lib

>> WTF.lib, then I began to run the tests and

>> Got the result.

>> Is there anything wrong with my process?

>> Hi Bely,

>> Many layout tests' results are dependent on the fonts that are available
on

>> the system. When you run the tests on Windows, the results for most tests

>> are compared against the expected results in LayoutTests/platform/mac, so
it

>> is expected that the results will mismatch, because a typical
installation

>> of Windows is missing many fonts that are available on Mac OS X.

>> Thanks,

>> -- Dan

>> Thanks!

>> - Bely

>>> Total

>>> passed/ incorrect/timedout/crashed/stderr

>>> Pass rate

>>> Layout Testing

>>> 9085

>>> 4853