[webkit-dev] segfault when having multiple webkit instances (got backtrace)

Christian Dywan christian at twotoasts.de
Mon Oct 6 12:17:55 PDT 2008

Am Mon, 06 Oct 2008 03:09:08 -0700
schrieb Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com>:

> On Oct 6, 2008, at 2:32 AM, Luka Napotnik wrote:
>
> > Ok I understand.
> >
> > Would it make a difference if I have only one WebKit instance and
> > then create frames and then operate on frames in the threads?
>
> That would probably make it even more likely to crash. The only safe
> way to get more concurrency out of WebKit is to use multiple
> processes (just fork a few and use message passing over pipes or
> something to coordinate).

Note that Gtk is not thread-safe in the first place. The only
supported way of working with threads is by using one dedicated thread
for Gtk related code and otherwise using g_idle_add and friends to
delegate calls to that dedicated thread.

Incidentally I can confirm that using WebKit (Gtk) in different
processes combined with pipes works perfectly, although I don't
actually have a use for threads. Such a setup actually improves
interface responsiveness, if that is your intent.

ciao,
    Christian