[webkit-dev] High Resolution Timer API proposal(s)

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Fri Oct 3 18:01:02 PDT 2008

On Oct 3, 2008, at 10:09 AM, Mike Belshe wrote:

> I'm not opposed to any of this; and the new API is definitely
> nicer.  I'll bring up a devil's advocate point.  One thing I hate is
> the Microsoft-style smorgasboard of APIs.  When you want to start a
> timer, you have 6 to choose from, and I hope we can avoid similar
> problems in the DOM.

Minor philosophical digression that I thought of after the fact. One
of the things I found most unpleasant about Win32 APIs compared to Mac
OS X and other Unix-like systems is the fact that so many seemingly
basic calls take so many parameters. And that many of the parameters
are often structs filled with many mysterious fields, and pointers to
other structs. That makes figuring out how to do even the most basic
thing a mystery.

On Mac OS X (from Cocoa to the BSD layer on down), this kind of
parameteritis is rare, and the same is true of the Web platform. I
find Cocoa development and Web development more fun than win32
development, and I think I am not alone in feeling that way. So I fear
parameteritis more than multiple functions with similar effects.

Regards,
Maciej